Arizona Salvage Title

In the state of Arizona, insurance companies have the authority to declare a vehicle a total loss if your automobile is in an accident. If your insurance claims the total loss or the word salvage has been stamped on the title, it is illegal to operate your vehicle on any road in Arizona. What this means is that your original registration on your vehicle has been cancelled, and you'll need to remove your plates off your automobile.

If the vehicle is restored, it has to be inspected before a Rebuilt Title will be issued. A rebuilt vehicle with a AZ Salvage Rebuilt Title can be driven on the highways. Please note that your vehicle can't be re-titled until it passes a Salvage Inspection.

Sponsored Link Ad

1: Get Started with Online Application Assistance

Online application assistance can simplify the process for many MVD related services for a fee, including: renewing your license, applying for a license, registering a vehicle, replacing your license, changing your address and more. In addition to the free forms and general instructions available from the MVD offices or websites, you will receive value added products such as a comprehensive Easy Guide containing information relevant to your service needs. Where possible, we will prepare your MVD forms and/or provide links to MVD online services. You will also receive 30 days of both emergency Roadside Assistance and the Repair Assist consultation service from Road America. Other benefits include an ongoing monthly newsletter and a quarterly magazine covering important updates that affect drivers, important safety tips, trends, legislative updates and ways to save money on vehicle-related services.

2: By mail

Some drivers prefer to handle the renewal process by mail, rather than taking advantage of assistance services, visiting the MVD in person, or via available online services. Service by mail is available with limitations. Read below for additional details or visit your local MVD.

3: Via a MVD office

If you prefer to access MVD services in person or your specific needs require an in-person visit, most, if not all, driver license services can be handled at a physical MVD office location. Varying MVD offices sometimes supply different types of services so you will need to check before your visit to make sure the MVD closest to you provides the service you require. In addition, you can call to see if your local MVD allows you to make a personal appointment. Read more below to see if an in-person visit is either preferred or required.

Arizona Salvage Titles

In the state of Arizona, a vehicle deemed a total loss by an insurance company results in the issuance of an Arizona salvage title for the vehicle. It becomes a salvage vehicle and can't be driven on the highways or have a valid license plate. If the vehicle is restored, it has to be inspected before a rebuilt title will be issued. A rebuilt vehicle with an AZ salvage rebuilt title can be driven on the highways.

To learn more about Arizona Salvage Titles, read below:

Applying for a Arizona Salvage Certificate of Title

To apply for a salvage car title in Arizona, you'll need to go to your local AZ Department of Transportation Division of Motor Vehicles (MVD) office. Along with your AZ Salvage Title application you'll have to have the vehicle's original certificate of title, the manufacturer's certificate of origin or out-of-state title, your sales receipt and also bring your driver's license with you. The state of Arizona requires you to apply for a rebuilt title from the MVD if the vehicle is legally declared a total loss.

Arizona Rebuildable Salvage Titles and Not Rebuildable Salvage Titles

  • A Rebuildable AZ Salvage Title means that it can be repaired and driven
  • A Not Rebuildable AZ Salvage Title means that it must be sold for parts

In the state of Arizona, your insurance carrier sets the percentage of damage, and they determine what that percentage is to consider your vehicle a total loss. After their determination, you will know if your vehicle can qualify for an AZ Salvage Rebuildable or AZ Salvage Rebuildable Certificate of Title.

Arizona Salvage Title Application/Form

To begin the process of filling out your Arizona salvage title application, click here. Please bring the completed form to your local MVD office for filing.

Arizona Salvage Rebuilt Titles

In the state of Arizona, it's against the law to sell a rebuilt auto title if the official MVD stamp on the certificate of title does not indicate the vehicle has been rebuilt or assembled from parts, or is a replica, kit car, glider kit or flood vehicle, etc. The Arizona DVD has to examine the automobile before an AZ salvage title certificate can be issued. If the DOT has not displayed an official decal stating the auto has been rebuilt, the document is null and void.

Title an Abandoned Vehicle in Arizona

An abandoned vehicle title in Arizona can be claimed by anyone as long as the owner does not come forward to claim it. To claim an abandoned vehicle and title it, you'll have to contact the AZ Motor Vehicles Division and file a report. The MVD will give you a transfer ownership form, and then contact the owner of the vehicle. If the owner does not respond, you will be contacted to complete the transfer ownership form and the title will be issued to you.